1. demand verb [dih-mand, -mahnd]
to ask firmly, to require or need
2. disturb verb [dih-sturb]
to break up or take attention away, interrupt
3. hire verb [hahyuhr]
to get the use of by paying money, to give someone a job
4. borrow verb [bor-oh, bawr-oh]
to receive something with the promise or understanding of returning or giving it back
5. mention verb [men-shuhn]
to speak of or refer to
6. pretend verb [pri-tend]
To give a false appearance of; to make believe that something is true
7. P.M. also p.m. or PM
post meridiem, after midday
8. zoo noun [zoo]
a park where living animals are kept and usually shown to the public
9. pick verb [pik]
to select from a group
10. festival noun [fes-tuh-vuhl]
an occasion or event of public celebration
Give the word being asked for each number.
____________________1. to get the use of by paying money, to give someone a job
____________________2. to speak of or refer to
____________________3. to give a false appearance of; to make believe that something is true
____________________4. to ask firmly, to require or need
____________________5. post meridiem, after midday
____________________6. to receive something with the promise or understanding of returning or giving it back
____________________7. to select from a group
____________________8. an occasion of public celebration
____________________9. to break up or take attention away, interrupt
____________________10. a park where living animals are kept and usually shown to the public
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences below.
1) The librarian asked me to be quiet because I could ______________ the other readers.
2) My family will go to the ____________ this weekend to see the new born panda.
3) A: Good afternoon! May I ask the time, please?
B: Sure, it’s 5 ____.
d. in the morning
4) The teacher ___________ my pen, but she forgot to return it.
5) The employees of ABC Company are ___________ a salary increase.